Walbrook Ward is one of the 25 Wards that make up the City of London, otherwise known as the “The City” or “Square Mile”.
Walbrook Ward is the most central of the Wards and lies at the very heart of the City. It encompasses Mansion House, the home of the Lord Mayor of London, St Stephens Walbrook, the Bank of England, 125 Old Broad Street sometimes known as “The Old Stock Exchange Tower”, Grocers’ Hall, the City of London Magistrates Courts, the London Stone and Bank Underground Station.
History of the Ward
The brook played a very important role in the Roman London. The stream started in what is now Finsbury and flowed through the centre of the walled city, bringing a supply of fresh water whilst carrying waste away to the River Thames emerging just to the west of the present-day Cannon Street Railway Bridge.
During Roman times it was also used for transport, with the limit of navigation some 200m from the Thames. It was there the Romans built a port and temple to Mithras on the east bank of the stream situated under the new Bloomberg building.
When St. Margaret Lothbury was rebuilt in 1440, the Lord Mayor Robert Large paid for the lower Walbrook to be covered over.